History of Lake Success
The history of Lake Success in Pictures is on display at the Village Office
Curated by Dr. Jack Binder, Village Historian (1930-2013)
Click here to see a sample of the pictures on display
Read Dr. Jack Binder's History of Lake Success
Did You Know That ......?
Lake Success is one of nine Villages that make up the overall area commonly called Great Neck, and participates in regional cooperative projects in this area.
The Village was incorporated in December 1927. It is one of 32 Incorporated Villages in the Town of North Hempstead, which constitutes the northwestern quarter of Nassau County. Village government has local authority within its borders which is equivalent to the authority of the Town of North Hempstead in the unincorporated areas outside of the Village.
Lake Success Village covers about two square miles. Lake Success contains 1,195 acres of land, of which 43 acres are lakes. The largest of the three lakes is Lake Success, deriving its name from an Indian chief named "Sacut". The lake is geologically a "kettle hole" gouged out by the glaciers during the last Ice Age. The surrounding glacial moraine is some of the highest land on Long Island. The lake is approximately 75 feet deep in the center and contains many varieties of fish. It is spring fed and is a sanctuary for numerous water fowl. No hunting, fishing, or boating is permitted on the lake.
The population of the Village was 2,390 as of the 1990 census.
Since 1927 there have been seven political parties in Lake Success. At present the only party is the "Village Party of Lake Success."
When the Village was first incorporated in 1927 a Mayor and two Trustees were elected. In 1941 the number of Trustees was increased to four and in 1959 to six, the same number we have today.
There are several houses of worship in Lake Success: North Shore Presbyterian Church, St. Philip and St. James Episcopal Church, and Lake Success Jewish Center.
Lake Success is only 16 miles from the heart of Manhattan.
When the United Nations made their headquarters in Lake Success, the name of the Village of Lake Success became known in all parts of the world.
Although most of the area of Lake Success is developed with private homes, two golf courses and a Great Neck Public School Complex, approximately 45% of the total tax valuation is residential. The rest of the tax base consists of commercial or industrial property.
We have pre-1850 landmark buildings still standing in our Village, namely: Willets House (1750) at 9 Round Hill Road; Provost House (1800) at 280 Lakeville Road; Maple Cottage (1814) at 42 Farm Lane, and Wooley House (1814) at 325 Lakeville Road.
The first home of the United Nations was in the Administration Building of the Sperry Gyroscope Company on Marcus Avenue at the corner of Lakeville Road, presently owned by Lockheed Martin Corp.
The 1957, by referendum of Village residents, the golf course was purchased for one million dollars just in time to stop it from being developed as a huge subdivision when the Long Island Expressway was constructed.
The Village Park (Vanderbilt Field) was acquired after World War II from Commodore Vanderbilt who had constructed and operated a Naval Reserve Training center there, and his original swimming pool was replaced by the present Olympic size pool in 1956.
Until 1958, the Village Office was located in the original farm house (over the Police Station) which was replaced in 1999 by the Police/Court/Recreation building at Vanderbilt Field.
From the Village Handbook
With thanks to